Community Links & Resources
BOOKS & READING
- Goodreads: Social site for browsing, rating, and sharing books. Free account required for creating book lists & reviews.
- LibraryThing: Create virtual shelves to keep track of your book collection online, and share & review books with other members.
- NPR Books: Book reviews, lists, and author interviews from National Public Radio.
- New York Times Books: Book news, author interviews, and up-to-date New York Times Bestseller lists.
- Project Gutenberg: Free downloadable eBooks in a variety of formats. These books are all in the public domain and yours to keep free of charge! Includes many classic titles and authors.
- LibriVox: Free downloadable audiobooks read by LibriVox volunteers. Available in several languages. These audiobooks are all in the public domain and yours to keep free of charge!
- Oprah's Book Club: Popular book recommendations and reading guides selected by Oprah.
- Common Sense Media "Best of" Lists: Children's book selections by the non-profit organization to assist parents with evaluating kids' media, with ratings for education value, positive messages, violence/scariness, and language. Film, game, music, and website ratings also available.
- WorldCat: Search library book collections worldwide. A great site for finding other libraries that have the book you need.
LOCAL & NEIGHBORHOOD WEBSITES:
- Friends of the Wells Branch Community Library: Non-profit organization that supports the library through fundraising & volunteering.
- online community for residents and businesses of Wells Branch. :
- news and activity information for our local Municipal Utility District.
- Information about Round Rock Independent School District and its campuses.
- Information about Pflugerville Independent School District and its campuses.
- Information about Austin Independent School District and its campuses.
- Pflugerville Fire Department: Travis County Emergency Services District #2. Serving the Wells Branch area.
- Information on the Sheriff's Office community initiatives, such as teen dating violence prevention, child safety seat fitting, safety standards for cyclists, and more. :
- Local chapter of the emergency assistance organization.
- Property and tax information.
- ATX Floods: Up-to-date flooding information, with a map of low water crossings & street closures.
- Travis County Office of Emergency Management: Reliable information regarding local emergencies & disaster recovery.
- Wildlife Rescue: Nonprofit group that will assist with injured or abandoned wildlife.
GOVERNMENT & CURRENT ISSUES:
- 2-1-1 Texas: Locate community resources & social services through a state-wide database administered by United Way. For phone assistance, dial 211.
- link to the IRS for forms and information to help file your taxes.
- Workforce development services to employers and job seekers of Texas.
- Information about immigration including links to necessary forms for Visa applications and citizenship information.
- Forms and instructions for simple legal actions and court information. :
- TRAIL searches and locates information from over 180 Texas state agency web servers. :
- The official website for the Great State of Texas and provides instant access to almost 800 state and local government services. :
- Apply online for benefits and medicare, estimate your benefits, find the local office, and more. :
LEARNING & RESEARCH:
- The Handbook of Texas Online is a multidisciplinary encyclopedia of Texas history, geography, and culture sponsored by the Texas State Historical Association and the General Libraries at UT Austin.
- Free online tutorials & interactive lessons. Covers subjects such as math, reading, history, & programming, plus test preparation & college readiness.
- EdX: Access to university-level MOOCs (Massive Open Online Courses) from various institutions, featuring free online interactive lessons taught by university professors.
- MIT OpenCourseWare: Free open courses from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, available in a variety of subjects & multiple languages.
HEALTH & WELLNESS
- Health Insurance Marketplace: Get information on eligibility and insurance plans, and sign up for health insurance via the Marketplace.
- MedlinePlus: Trusted health information from the National Library of Medicine, in a searchable & easy-to-read format.
- NIH Senior Health: Trusted health & wellness information for older adults from the National Institutes of Health.
- Centers for Disease Control & Prevention: Disease information & public health research from the CDC.
- HealthFinder: Health information from over 1,000 government & non-profit organizations, brought together by the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services.
Connect with the Wells Branch Community Library: